Essay Writing Examples and General Essay Topics: We are going to learn every basic detail on, how to write an effective essay in English? The proper explanation is given with examples. Before the end of the post see the 51 General essay topics for school students.
Also given at the end of the article short essay examples and related topics for school and college students.
After reading this article you will be aware of the types of essay and how you can structure your own essay to make it meaningful?
[su_box title=”What is Essay Writing?” style=”default” box_color=”#333333″ title_color=”#FFFFFF” radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]The word essay means “attempt”. It is an attempt at giving expression to one’s ideas on a given topic. It is a piece of composition on any subject which is lies within the orbit of experience of a person.
It is an art or for some people, it comes natural, but a person who is not so gifted can acquire proficiency in it by good and constant practice.[/su_box]
Must Read: Short Moral Stories for Kids Students
A good essay is always divided into a paragraph which is so arranged as to form connected piece, make sure your audience will easily grasp it.
Basic Points to Essay Writing
- Always write with a neat and legible hand, write short and simple sentences.
- Difficult words and Flowery language should be avoided. Don’t introduce too many proverbs and quotations.
- Do not exceed the limit set by examiner, few words more or less, however, do not make much difference.
- Don’t repeat a same point again and again because constant repetition will spoil the beauty of your composition.
- An essay should be divided into paragraphs so that the reader will find it easy to understand.
What are the important elements of writing an essay? OR Characteristics of a good essay. We can learn here by a simple 4 step process; see the following infographic.
Essay Writing Examples
The following are Characteristics of good essay. A meaningful essay must contain the point given, explained in a simple language that is easily understood by laymen.
An essay must be written in a connected way, developing one theme with a definite purpose. It must ignore all those things which are irrelevant to the theme.
It is a mistake to bring in the matter which is of no use on the subject merely to increase the volume.
At the same time, the subject may be treated in a variety of ways and from a different point of view.
The topic of the essay should be treated in a logical and orderly manner so as to form one connected piece, divide it into paragraphs. It should not contain causal and stray reflections jotted down as they come.
- Brevity and Style
An essay should be neither is too long nor too short. The writing should be simple, direct and clear. The language should not be verbose and involved.
It should present a complete idea of the subject and should give all the information that a general reader requires.
- The Personal touch
The essay should reveal the writer’s own views and opinion or the essay will be colourless. A personal touch will make it lively and looks natural.
The reader should find it interesting to go through. Devoid of embellishments and flashes, and a dull and high sounding word usage which is difficult to comprehend will fail to appeal.
ALSO READ: Short Essay Topics of about 200-300 words
Classification of Essay
Generally speaking, there are five kinds of essays and describe them in detail.
- Descriptive Essays – They describe a place, natural scenes, persons, animals, town, cities, village etc.; The Postman; The Golden Temple; The Sunset; The Village well etc.
- Narrative Essays – They give an account of a story, an event, the life of a person etc.; as, The Ramayana; The Battle of Plassey; A journey by train; etc.
- Reflective Essays – They consist of the considered thoughts of the writer on a given subject or of arguments for and against the subject; as, My aim in life, Honesty is the Best Policy, Thrift, Education, Prosperity brings friends and adversity tries them etc.
- Imaginative Essays – In imaginative essays, the writer is called to place himself in imagination in a position of which he has had no experience. Such a subject as ‘If I were a minister’, or ‘The Autobiography of an earthen pot’, would call for imagination in dialling upon the topic.
- Expository or Explanatory Essays – They consist of exposition or explanation of such subject such as Parliament, The press, Silk-weaving, Farming, Gravitation, Astronomy, Prose styles, The Genius of Tagore, The Dramas of Shakespeare, etc.
Preparation for Essay Writing in English
One of the chief difficulties a student face in essay writing is the lack of material. So it requires much forethought to write a good essay.
The writer should think over the subject for a while and note down all the points and ideas that strike him about it on a piece of paper.
Then he/she should construct a mental picture of the whole structure and see where each idea would fit in logically in the best manner possible.
He should arrange the ideas accordingly under different headings. Let each principle idea have one paragraph and the ideas which are subsidiary to the principal, be arranged under it. The Skeleton of the essay would thus be built up.
Now the writer should fill the skeleton with flesh and muscles by weaving in the ideas into sentences and the essay will be ready in a finished form.
After completion, the essay should be carefully revised, correcting all grammatical mistakes and punctuation. It is a person with an imaginative turn of mind who can write a good essay.
51 General Essay Topics
You can explore the following best essay writing topics, you get to know how to start an essay? What to include in the body of the essay? and How to finish an essay in a meaningful way?
A bad friend whom you do not seems to like
|How do you celebrate Diwali at home?||View|
|Qualities of a Good Teacher||View|
|Qualities of a best friend||View|
|Paragraph on Postman for Children||View|
|A house on fire story||View|
|An accident story||View|
|Indian Village (Life in a Village)||View|
|A Scene at a Railway Station Essay||View|
|School Library Paragraph||View|
|My Last Day at School||View|
|Republic Day Celebration||View|
|Mahatma Gandhi Short Biography||View|
|My Favourite National Hero||View|
|Describe your neighbourhood||View|
|My aim in life to become an engineer||View|
|Historical Building Taj Mahal||View|
|Use and Abuse of Newspapers||View|
|Advantages of sports and games||View|
|School Annual Day Celebration||View|
|Descriptive a trip "A visit to Circus Show"||View|
|My favourite game football||View|
|Evening Walk with Friend||View|
|Rainy Season (10 Lines on Rainy Season)||View|
|Journey by bus for School Kids||View|
|10 Harmful Effects of Smoking on Health||View|
|Importance of Discipline in Students Life||View|
|7 Reasons why Reading Habits are Important||View|
|Importance of Computer in Our Life||View|
|Children’s Role in Curbing Black-Marketing||View|
|Why Indian Marriages is So Famous?||View|
|10 Lesser Known Facts about Dog!||View|
|Good Manners for Students||View|
|Is Luxury an Evil?||View|
|Short Story on Train Journey||View|
|Scene of Election Booth in India||View|
|Describe a City: Where you live in?||View|
|My Hometown Paragraph||View|
|10 Lines on Cow||View|
|A Trip to the Zoo Short Story||View|
|School Cricket Match tournament||View|
|Hockey Match: India’s National Game||View|
|Short Speech on Indian Farmer||View|
|Nursing Profession is Great Service to Humanity||View|
|Picnic with family, friends||View|
|Noise Pollution: Find out Causes and its Prevention||View|
|Wonders of science||View|
|Wonders of Electricity||View|
|Street Quarrel That Took Place in My Neighbour||View|
I have described important points on writing an effective essay with essay writing examples above. Explained different types of essay and end of the post I have listed ample examples of essay writing topics that may help in structuring your own essay in a consolidated manner.